Search This Blog

Saturday 17 June 2017

Springsteen Covered - Racing in the Streets

Portrait by Jon Langford





Last time round Bruce was up against Kevin Montgomery with I Wish I Were Blind. The scoring was a bit cryptic but I think Kevin just shaded it giving a score of The Boss 7 The Rest 6.
The gap has considerably narrowed over the last few weeks although I suspect it might widen again after this week's offering.
Racing in the Streets is best known as a song from Darkness on the Edge of Town but I have opted for the version which appears on The Promise.
The competition this week comes from the late great Townes Van Zandt.
Much as I love Townes this is probably not one of his better attempts at a cover so it is Springsteen for me this week.
Others of course may choose to differ.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing in the Streets (78)

Townes Van Zandt - Racing in the Streets

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I love TVZ, but this is one of those originalals which cannot be bettered in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you back CC - Hope you and the family are doing ok but a long way to go yet I imagine. Thinking of you.

    Its TVZ for me this week - This is going to be a close run contest I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Townes. Easily Townes. Good to see the blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you done Frankie Goes To Hollywood's cover of Born To Run? Heard it the other day and enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May feature depending on how long the series runs Adam

      Delete
  5. Bob Dylan himself could cover 'Racing in the Street' backed by members of The Clash, The Triffids and every other band I've ever loved or cherished and Springsteen would still win. A song straight out of Bruce's top drawer, even in this slightly inferior incarnation.
    Good to see you back CC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see you again CC.
    This series continues to confound.... I'm for Brucie Baby on this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope things are getting more bearable CC.

    This is one of my favourite Springsteen songs, though not as enamored with the version posted but nothing, not even a vaguely coherent MES and the Dudes if they had covered it could come close to the original. So Bruce for me as usual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would be going for Bruce this week Drew!

      Delete
  8. This one isn't fair as you'd have to do something really unique with a stripped down tune like 'Racing' in order to top the Boss. Townes is trying, but not that much.

    ReplyDelete