Search This Blog

Thursday 10 March 2016

That's The Way The Girls Are From Texas



I had what I considered to be an interesting post lined up for you today until technical gremlins got in the way.
Undettered I shall press on.
I first encountered the song Girls from Texas on the world's greatest living accordionist Flaco Jiminez's album Partners where it is sung by Ry Cooder.
Here is where the gremlins kicked in as my PC refused to rip the album
You will therefore have to make do with the You Tube version instead




On hearing this it has all the ingredients of a classic country number.

Imagine my surprise therefore when on Disc 3 of my recently acquired box set Back to the River More Southern Soul Stories 1961 -1978 there featured is the original version by Jimmy Lewis
He co-wrote it with Clifford Chambers and Jimmy Holiday and it was a single on the Minit label in 1967

For me in this instance it is a case of Country 1 Southern Soul 0

Jimmy Lewis - The Girls From Texas (extended version)

5 comments:

  1. "You will therefore have to make do with the You Tube version instead" But all right-minded people have the album already, so no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also available on Ry's own tremendous 'Borderline' album, of course. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "my recently acquired box set Back to the River More Southern Soul Stories 1961 -1978"

    Please don't tell me you found this in a charity shop. I will be sick as a dog that's eaten it's own sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would have been the find to end all finds Rol
    Sadly not a charity find but my Christmas pressie to myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK, then. I've had those CDs on my wishlist for a while now.

      Delete