Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 August 2015

When Steve McQueen Met Faron Young at Four in the Morning


Can it really be 30 years ago that Kitchenware records released Steve McQueen the second album by Prefab Sprout?
Produced by Thomas Dolby it is perhaps Paddy McAloon's finest three quarters of an hour.
Although it didn't enjoy the same UK chart success as it's four successors it is certainly their most critically acclaimed record and is much loved by many of my esteemed colleagues on the right hand sidebar.
It reached number 4 on the NME's best albums list for 1985 and ever since has featured regularly on all time best of lists
Released in America as Two Wheel's Good as McQueen's estate took issue with the title.
On the other hand I'm sure that country crooner Faron Young was grateful to Paddy for introducing him to a whole new audience,

Prefab Sprout - Faron Young

Prefab Sprout - When Love Breaks Down


3 comments:

  1. 30 years? (Deep sigh) I was never a Prefab Sprout completist, but I have a lot of affection for their 80's output in general and 'Steve McQueen' in particular. 'When Love Breaks Down' is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could listen to this one every day. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right you are Brian. An album that ages better than the best wine in a Rothschild's vault. For me it's an album that transports me back to some of the best memories of my youth. Appetite is in my Top 5 of all time and When Love Breaks Down and Bonny (even if it wasn't released as one) should have two of the most massive chart singles of the 80's.

    ReplyDelete