Search This Blog

Friday 17 July 2015

Love & Mercy


Mrs CC and I went to see Love & Mercy the Brian Wilson biopic the other night and very good it was too.
It concentrates on two periods in his life the recording of Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations and the 80's when Brian was a recluse post mental breakdown and under the care and exploitation of Dr Eugene Landy.

The 80's Wilson is played by John Cusack who is pretty good. However, Paul Dano who plays the 60's Wilson is an absolute revelation in terms of his  acting, his physical similarity to Wilson and for his singing prowess.
Directed by Bill Pohlad the screenwriting is by Oren Moverman who co-wrote the 2007 Bob Dylan portrait I'm Not There.
It is well worth seeing if you get the chance.Certainly much much better than your average biopic

Brian Wilson - Heroes and Villians

Brian Wilson - Vega-Tables

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear, CC. Even in the trailer it looked like Dano nailed it. Felt kind of unsure about Cusack. Perhaps it's a suspension of disbelief problem since I looked at him and could only see Cusack, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you are saying about Cusack.i must admit that although he did an effective job I felt a bit that way too

      Delete
  2. I really want to see this, though may have to wait for TV to show it as it'll probably only be in the arty cinemas, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect so - we saw it at the GFT (Glasgow FIlm Theatre) our only arty one

      Delete
  3. Will prob go and see it at the multiplex just round from the GFT. Didn't know the fillum existed till I saw it listed there. (BTW the Vegetable has contacted me today)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncanny the resemblance that Dano has to him at that time. Need to get myself along to see this, everyone I know that has seen it is raving about it.

    ReplyDelete