Search This Blog

Saturday 25 April 2015

Saturday Lucky Dip


This weeks Lucky Dip is Stoned a MOJO compilation from September 2007.
It is a mix of original versions of songs subsequently covered by the Stones and also some of their songs recorded by others.
Before I had even listened to it I had decided that Sandie Shaw and Nancy Sinatra were going on. I mean, come on Sandie Shaw and Nancy Sinatra for goodness sake!!

First the good news. Nancy's version of As Tears Go By is not bad. Not as good as Marianne Faithfull's version granted but pretty good nevertheless.
Now for the not so good news. I'm afraid that Sandie's version of Sympathy for the Devil is pretty dire. But hey it is going on.

By way of compensation here are Turin Brakes with a lovely version of Moonlight Mile.

More random nonsense next Saturday

Nancy Sinatra - As Tears Go By

Sandie Shaw - Sympathy For The Devil

Turin Breaks - Moonlight Mile

10 comments:

  1. ....I got very excited as the picture revealed itself. EVE GRAHAM!!! But I was wrong there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were but I can see where you were coming from

      Delete
  2. Someone should've had a quiet word with Sandie - that version of 'Sympathy' is truly awful! The other two covers are, as you say, quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's dreadful isn't it?Probably the worst I've posted although I suspect that there are other candidates out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, many many many more! I remember the Spinto Band from They Survived The Bin Cull, for example!

      Delete
  4. I don't mind Sandie Shaw's version at all. She was a pretty fearless singer back then, taking on Dylan, The Stones, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I thought Sandie Shaw's cover was one of those so bad it's almost good songs. after a couple more listens it really is dire...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can live with the Sandie cover, it has a certain appeal
    Swiss Adam

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem with Sandie's version is the drummer was clearly on different drugs than the rest of the band.

    ReplyDelete