Search This Blog

Thursday 5 February 2015

A Mid Tempo Ballad


I usually find that mid tempo ballads are best avoided. However I am prepared to make an exception for Arms of Mary by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver.
Who can argue with a song which was number one in Belgium, Netherlands AND Ireland!

It also appears on their 1975 album Reach for the Sky which I have actually bought twice , the first copy being too scratched to play properly. Regrettably the rest of the album is no great shakes.

The Sutherland Brothers are Iain and Gavin - Iain wrote Arms of Mary, Gavin wrote Sailing
Quiver appears to be the collective name for the other two members Willie Wilson and Tim Renwick

Apparently there is a German version  "Ich seh' dich mit meinen Augen"  by  Rebekka, which I'm sure Walter  and  Dirk are familiar with.

Sutherland Brothers & Quiver -Arms of Mary

Sutherland Brothers & Quiver - When The Train Comes

5 comments:

  1. I found the song on You Tube. Too much time on my hands.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VwXn4AMTcw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, no, sorry, doesn't ring a bell ... but I'm sure Walter can sing along to it loudly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Arms of Mary' makes me feel a bit shaky, for as much as I'm a sucker for quality 'soft rock', this doesn't quite cut it for me. However, 'When The Train Comes' does have an almost Doobie Bros.groove, of which this fool will nearly always approve. You've reminded me to get back too on my long projected 'Soft Rock In Excelsis' series (just to throw a few cats among a number of pigeons).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your opening para was brilliant (unfortunately too long for me to tweet/retweet in its entirety) but I do agree. I love this track although in no way does it represent my usual musical drift. That's the beauty of 'pop' music though isn't it? We shouldn't have to rationalise our likes/dislikes in a guilty pleasure sort of way although that is what we do.

    ReplyDelete