Search This Blog

Friday 9 January 2015

I Love a Man in a Uniform



Unlike many of my esteemed colleagues featured on the right hand side bar I am not a huge fan of remixes.
However in the case of the Gang of Four I am prepared to make an exception.

2005's Dig the Gift contains re-recordings of 14 of their finest songs together with 12 remixes .
Here are Karen O and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's  contributing to  I Love a Man in a Uniform (don't we all dear, don't we all?)
Not bad at all but you can't improve on perfection so here are the boys themselves with their re-recorded version of this classic.
Is it just me or does Jon King  come across a bit Welleresque in places in the vocals department here?

Gang of Four - I Love a Man in a Uniform (Yeah Yeah Yeah remix)

Gang of Four - I Love a Man in a Uniform

9 comments:

  1. As I love both bands it's great to hear this remix - never knew of it before, thank you! The original is just brilliant though. Did you see that TV prog not long ago (can't remember exactly what!) which showed them performing this originally on OGWT and then went straight to their 2009 performance of it on Later, great stuff.

    (I could *possibly* love a man in a uniform, although it would greatly depend on which one... I am a bit of a sucker for WWI trench coats...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I never saw that programme.
      So if Mr SDS was not on the scene and Soldier from the Village People was to chance his persuasion?

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I love this version. Mind, our Kaz can't do a lot wrong really, can she? There are some good remixes on this record - a rarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No he doesn't sound a bit Welleresque

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though you might disagree with that observation

      Delete
  4. Great album, love the Hot Hot Heat Remix of Damaged Goods..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Original great, of course. Remix not at all bad and certainly not superfluous like many remixes can be. Welleresque? Can't hear it but The Jam would have struggled with 'Sound Affects' without Gang of Four.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The re-recording isn't a patch on the 1982 original and the OGWT performance was particularly inspired - I still have my VHS recording of it! Quite enjoyed the remix though, curiously.

    ReplyDelete