Search This Blog

Saturday 25 October 2014

Saturday Lucky Dip


Was there ever a more laddish band than Rod Stewart and the Faces?
Pool Hall Richard which reached no 8 in an 11 week run in the UK singles charts in 1973 features on this week lucky dip album Uncut's Unconditionally Guaranteed  October 1999 as part of a Greatest Hits compilation Good Boys ... When They're Asleep The Best of the Faces released in that year.
All Music critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine described the song as "unremarkable". He's wrong there

How do you follow The Faces?
With a beautiful song by Shelby Lynne  from her I am Shelby Lynne album and Nick Lowe performing an audition for Swiss Adam's eternal Friday Night Rockabilly series. That's how.

The Faces -Pool Hall Richard

Shelby Lynne - Black Lite Blue

Nick Lowe -I'm Coming Home

5 comments:

  1. Was Pol Hall Richard a double-A side with Cindy Incidentally? That Nick Lowe track has some splendid twangy guitar on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy Incidentally was the single before it. The B-side was I Wish It Would Rain.
      However they both appeared on an EP from 1974 with Stay With Me and Memphis

      Delete
  2. Shelby desreves a mention too. I Am.. is a great album and she has followed it with many more too. In the general absence nowadys of what I would call "true" soul singers I think Shelby fits the bill. But her back story was always going to give her the edge. I would go so far as to say she is my favourite singer of this century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very good Darcy isn't she
      Her Dusty tribute album Just a little Lovin' is excellent

      Delete
  3. Would have to echo Darcy's comment about Shelby. I Am.. was very close to making my top 10 album rundown. Definitely a soul singer in the same way Dusty was...

    ReplyDelete