Search This Blog

Sunday 6 July 2014

Southern Soul Sunday 40


It has taken me a wee while to get round to posting the great Garnet Mimms on SSS.
Born Garrett Mimms in 1933 in Ashland , West Virginia he is thankfully still with us.
He grew up in Philadelphia but had a strong gospel background which would subsequently influence his Deep Soul recordings.
Cry Baby recorded in 1963 with his band The Enchanters is his most famous song topping the R&B charts and even reaching no 4 in the Pop Chart.
It was written and produced  by Bert Berns and his song writing partner Jerry Ragovoy and was subsequently recorded by Janis Joplin.
Jerry Ragovoy also produces and co-writes with Mort Shuman 1966's My Baby
Two tremendous gospel based songs with fantastic arrangements and orchestration.
I'm not sure why it took me so long to post them

Garnet Mimms & the Enchanters -Cry Baby

Garnet Mimms - My Baby (Mono Version)

6 comments:

  1. I could happily listen to Garnet all day long. Can't understand why he is not better known. Great song choices today CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crazy about 'My Baby' - terrific pick, CC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd have to agree with Scott - great songs, and why is he not better known?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Cry Baby" is the second best Garnett Mimms song of all time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK then George - the obvious question - what is the first?

      Delete
  5. "Tell me Baby", CC, posted on a certain blog November 16 2013

    ReplyDelete