Search This Blog

Thursday 5 September 2013

Monkee Business


The cover of Daydream Believer on a recent post here got my thinking of The Monkees the original manufactured boy band set up to cash in on the fame of the Beatles.
Mikey Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork and the late Davie Jones started in a TV series about an imaginary band but quickly became the real thing and amazingly successful they were too outselling both the Beatles and the Stones at their peak in 1967.
It may well be sacrilege to some  but I much prefer them to the Beatles! Anyone else agree?
Michael Nesmith went on to have a reasonably successful career as a songwriter in the Americana genre
First up is Pleasant Valley Sunday - I have an excellent cover version by the Wedding Present somewhere.
The second song is for Luca and all other Italian followers of this blog


On the subject of manufactured boy bands I can't see One Direction featuring in too many blogs in 45 years time.

The Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday

The Monkees - Tema Dei Monkees

2 comments:

  1. Hey, what an honor!
    As a little thank-you note, I've been inspired by you to choose one of my all-time favourite country-rock songs.
    http://www.thisismyjam.com/lucathequietone.
    Hope you like it.
    Luca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Luca
    I've got a few of their records and they may well feature on CCM at some stage
    I saw them in Glasgow on their "come back " tour in 2006 and they were excellent

    ReplyDelete